Have you tried to make sense of all the health related blogs, books, diet trends and recommendations out there? You most likely noticed that it is very frustrating and overwhelming.
Recently, Dr. Amit Ofek, DC spent some time with us and spun some very interesting light on this often confusing, but important topic in a talk he gave at the studio on March 30th. He spent some time summarizing the high points of his discussion in this post. I hope you enjoy it and find it most helpful to improving your health and the health of your family.
Thank you Dr. Ofek!
This post will help clarify the most important, simple and cost effective steps to take to get the most “bank for your buck”. Also, I have outlined how to improve your health dramatically, optimize brain function and add to your longevity.
1) Reduce your sugar intake as much as possible. That means cutting back on carbs, starches and processed foods.
2) Reduce your intake of processed vegetable oil’s like canola and soy due to the high amount of omega 6 fatty acids. Omega 6 fatty acids in our body are pro inflammatory and are responsible for many of the chronic conditions we see today.
3) Get plenty of vitamin D. We assume that we get enough vitamin D, even here in sunny Georgia, but apparently this is a very common deficiency and responsible for many imbalances in health issues in our body. You can supplement or simply expose at least 3/4 of your body to the sun for 15 minutes per day.
4) One of the most important things you need to supplement with is Omega-3 fatty acid’s. It is apparently the most common deficiency in our society today specifically in the United States.
Omega-3 Fatty Acids
It’s very simple, we don’t eat enough fish and when we do they’re often farm-raised and void of EPA and DHA and omega 3 fatty acids. EPA is responsible for a healthy and strong immune system. DHA and EPA deficiencies can lead to things like severe allergies, skin issues, chronic inflammation (joint pain), spontaneous blood clotting which may lead to strokes. A deficiency in DHA fatty acid has also shown to affect our brain function, memory loss, dementia and even Alzheimer’s disease. By ensuring a sufficient amount of omega-3 fatty acid in our body, we’re not only preventing these chronic and debilitating conditions but also improving our daily quality-of-life. We have seen dramatic improvement in neuropsychiatric disorders like ADHD, ASD, dyslexia, OCD, anxiety and depression with high dosage supplementation of omega-3 fatty acid’s.
What can you do?
Now, before you run to by the first omega-3 you find on Amazon and for the lowest price, there are a few things you need to know about how to get a good product.
1) The only omega-3's we can use are EPA and DHA. The ratio should be 2 to 1 in favor of EPA.
2) The product needs to be refrigerated from production through storage and at the store. It should be refrigerated in your fridge as well. Just like you will not keep a fish outside of the refrigerator you do not want to keep those capsules out of the refrigerator.
3) Ask for a certificate of quality, that shows that the oil itself in the capsules is fresh and not oxidized. Oxidized oil is literally useless and will not get the wanted results. Most of the products in the US market have been exposed to heat and moisture by the time they get to you. Due to the omega 3 sensitivity to oxidation it is most likely oxidized.
4) Use the right dosage according to your weight and specific condition.
I am a chiropractor first foremost and my job is to make sure your spine and nervous system are healthy and functioning at optimal performance. I do carry a high quality omega-3 fatty acid product in my office that does answer all of the criteria mentioned above. It helps my patients get well sooner and stay well. If you have questions regarding Chiropractic or our omega-3 product please don’t hesitate to contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or simply call my office at 770-435-8890.
Dr. Amit Ofek, DC